The University of Oxford Examination Schools, Oxford, UK.
The Impact Initiative is delighted to be running a workshop on: The opportunities and challenges of translating evidence into policy and practice at the 2019 UKFIET International Conference on Education and Development.
The session will draw on the experience of researchers and policy actors including:
- Dr. Rukmini Banerji, CEO, Pratham Education Foundation
- Colin Bangay, Senior Education Adviser in Sierra Leone, Department for International Development
- Christine Beggs, Christine Beggs, Senior Director, Global Monitoring and Research, Room to Read
- Caroline Dyer, University of Leeds
- Pauline Rose (Moderator), Impact Initiative and Director of the Research for Equitable Access and Learning (REAL) Centre, University of Cambridge
Considering the role of evidence in informing policy and practice of relevance to raising learning outcomes in low-resource settings, the session will explore how researchers can work together with NGOs, donors and research funders to translate evidence into policy and practice.
The session will begin with a brief introduction to the Impact Initiative’s work in evidencing impact. Following this, Rukmini Banerji will give her perspective on why translating evidence into policy and practice is important, with examples of how it can be done and the challenges that researchers, policy actors and practitioners can face, drawing on specific examples from research with which the Indian-based NGO, Pratham, has engaged.
Following the opening discussion, delegates will split into three groups to explore the following in detail:
- How can networks and relationships support impact?
- How can researchers communicate evidence effectively to practitioners and policymakers?
- Evidencing impact.
The session will be based on research funded by the UK’s Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and Department for International Development (DFID). It is organised as part of the UKFIET conference held in Oxford 1-19 September 2019.
Resources from the Impact Initiative:
- Read/download an impact story about Reducing School Dropout Rates in Malawi and Lesotho
- Read/download ESRC-DFID Raising Learning Outcomes in Education Systems